These tasty Pecan Pie Thumbprint Cookies include a rich pie filling and fresh nutmeg.
Pecan Pie Thumbprint Cookies
Makes about 6
- 4 cups pecan halves
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh nutmeg, divided
- 2 cups unsalted butter, softened
- 1⅓ cups sugar
- 4 large egg yolks
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- Pecan Pie Filling (recipe follows), slightly warmed
- In the work bowl of a food processor, place pecans, 1 teaspoon salt, and ½ teaspoon nutmeg; pulse until nuts are finely ground. Transfer mixture to a medium bowl.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat butter and sugar at medium speed until creamy, 3 to 4 minutes, stopping to scrape sides of bowl. Add egg yolks, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla.
- With mixer on low speed, add flour, ½ cup chopped nut mixture, remaining 1 teaspoon salt, and remaining ½ teaspoon nutmeg. Increase mixer speed to medium, and beat just until mixture comes together, about 2 minutes. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line several baking sheets with parchment paper.
- With floured hands, roll dough into 60 (1-inch) balls. Roll balls in remaining nut mixture. Place 2 inches apart on prepared pans. Using your thumb or the back of a spoon, gently make an indentation in center of each ball.
- Bake for 10 minutes; remove from oven, and press down centers again. Bake until lightly browned around the edges, about 4 minutes more. Let cool on pans for 2 minutes. Remove from pans, and let cool completely on wire racks. Spoon 1 teaspoon Pecan Pie Filling in center of each cookie. Let stand until filling cools.
Pecan Pie Filling
Makes about 1¼ cups
- ¾ cup chopped pecans
- ½ cup sugar
- ⅓ cup dark corn syrup
- 2½ tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 large egg
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt
- In a medium saucepan, stir together pecans, sugar, corn syrup, melted butter, egg, vanilla, and salt. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring frequently. Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer, stirring constantly, until thickened, 3 to 4 minutes. Let cool to room temperature before using.