These dainty Pink Heart Scones combine the delicate flavors of vanilla and almond with a light dusting of confectioners’ sugar to create a teatime delight.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup cold unsalted butter, softened
- ¾ cup plus 1 tablespoon heavy whipping cream, chilled
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon almond extract
- ⅛ teaspoon liquid red food coloring
- Garnish: confectioners’ sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, granulated sugar, baking powder, and salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in butter until mixture is crumbly.
- In a small bowl, stir together cream, extracts, and food coloring. Add cream mixture to flour mixture, stirring just until mixture comes together. (If dough seems dry, add more cream, 1 tablespoon at a time, until dough is uniformly moist.)
- Working gently, bring mixture together with hands until a dough forms. Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface, and knead gently 3 to 5 times. Roll dough to ½-inch thickness. Using a 2¾-inch heart-shaped cutter, cut dough, rerolling scraps as necessary. Place scones inches apart on prepared pan.
- Bake until edges are golden brown and a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, 18 to 20 minutes. Garnish with confectioners’ sugar, if desired.
Discover inspiring style ideas, seasonal recipes, and more by ordering your Southern Lady subscription today!