Add this sumptuous Pumpkin and Pear Soup with Candied Pistachios to your fall recipe box. It’s a delicious accompaniment to autumn menus.
Pumpkin and Pear Soup with Candied Pistachios
Makes 6 to 8 servings
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 cups diced pumpkin
- 2 cups Bartlett pears, peeled and cubed
- 2 medium yellow onions, diced
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup Marsala wine
- 4 teaspoons chicken bouillon paste
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Candied Pistachios (recipe follows)
- Garnish: heavy whipping cream
- In a Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add pumpkin, pear, onion, carrot, and celery. Cook, stirring of en, until tender, about 15 minutes.
- To pot, add 4 cups water, wine, bouillon paste, salt, cumin, and pepper. Bring mixture to a boil; reduce heat to medium, cover, and simmer for 40 minutes more. Remove pot from heat.
- Using an immersion blender, purée mixture until smooth. Strain blended soup, and return to pot. Simmer over medium heat for 10 minutes. Top with Candied Pistachios. Garnish with cream, if desired.
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 cup unsalted pistachios
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper; spray with cooking spray.
- In a medium skillet, bring maple syrup, salt, cumin, and pepper to a boil over medium-high heat. Stir in pistachios; cook, stirring constantly, until pistachios release a nutty aroma and syrup turns a deep-amber color.
- Pour syrup mixture onto prepared pan, spreading so nuts are not touching each other. Let cool completely. Store in an airtight container for up to 1 week.
Discover inspiring style ideas, seasonal recipes, and more by ordering your Southern Lady subscription today!