Pumpkin Pie Ice Cream
Makes about 1½ quarts
- 6 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 1½ cups pumpkin purée
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 (12-ounce) cans evaporated milk
- 1¾ cups heavy whipping cream
- 1¼ cups sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Pecan Crumble Topping (recipe follows)
- In a medium bowl, combine egg yolks, pumpkin purée, pumpkin pie spice, cinnamon, and vanilla; set aside.
- In a large saucepan, combine milk, cream, sugar, and salt. Heat over medium-low heat until mixture is barely simmering.
- Pour one-fourth of hot-milk mixture into egg-yolk mixture, whisking constantly. Pour egg mixture into remaining hot-milk mixture, whisking constantly. Cook over medium heat until mixture is thickened and coats the back of a spoon, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat, and let cool for 10 minutes. Strain mixture through a fine-mesh sieve into an airtight container. Cover, and chill for 4 hours to overnight.
- Pour chilled mixture into an ice cream freezer, and freeze according to manufacturer’s instructions. Transfer to an airtight container, and freeze until ready to serve. Top with Pecan Crumble Topping.
Pecan Crumble Topping
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ⅓ cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ cup chopped pecans
- ½ cup butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, brown sugar, pumpkin pie spice, and cinnamon. Stir in pecans. Add melted butter, stirring to combine. Spread mixture into an ungreased 13x9-inch baking pan. Bake, stirring occasionally to crumble, until lightly browned, 15 to 20 minutes. Let cool completely. Store in an airtight container.
Discover inspiring style ideas, seasonal recipes, and more by ordering your Southern Lady subscription today!