Tossed in an apple cider vinaigrette, our Rainbow Chard and Barley Salad is chock-full of apples, pecans, and chopped bacon.
Rainbow Chard and Barley Salad
MAKES 6 TO 8 SERVINGS
- 3 cups water
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1 cup pearl barley
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons apple juice
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 cups diced Honeycrisp apples
- 2 cups shredded rainbow chard
- ½ cup chopped cooked bacon
- ½ cup chopped pecans
- In a medium Dutch oven, bring 3 cups water and ½ teaspoon salt to a boil. Add barley, stirring to combine. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer, 45 to 55 minutes. Remove from heat. Rinse with cold water, and drain. Transfer to a large bowl; cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- For dressing: In a medium bowl, whisk together vinegar, apple juice, brown sugar, mustard, cinnamon, cloves, and remaining ½ teaspoon salt. Slowly whisk in olive oil until well combined.
- In large bowl with chilled barley, combine apples, chard, bacon, pecans, and half of dressing. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour or until ready to serve. Serve with remaining dressing.
Discover enticing travel destinations, inspiring style ideas, and more by ordering your Southern Lady subscription today!