Layers of classic red velvet cake and coconut mousse create these individual delights.
Red Velvet Parfaits
MAKES 12 SERVINGS
- ½ cup butter, softened
- 1½ cups sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup whole buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons distilled white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 (1-ounce) bottle liquid red food coloring
- Coconut Mousse (recipe follows)
- Garnish: toasted flaked coconut
- Preheat oven to 350°. Spray a 13x9-inch baking pan with nonstick baking spray with flour.
- In a large bowl, combine butter and sugar. Beat at medium speed with an electric mixer until fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, combine buttermilk, vinegar, and vanilla. Add flour mixture to butter mixture, alternately with buttermilk mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Add red food coloring, beating until well combined.
- Spoon batter into prepared pan. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Let cool in pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove from pan, and let cool completely on wire rack.
- Crumble cake, and layer with Coconut Mousse in parfait glasses. Garnish with toasted coconut, if desired.
- 1 (3.4-ounce) box coconut-cream-flavored instant pudding mix
- 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup sour cream
- ½ cup confectioners’ sugar
- 2½ cups heavy whipping cream
- 2 teaspoons coconut extract
- In a medium bowl, combine pudding mix and cream cheese. Beat at medium speed with a mixer until creamy. Add sour cream and confectioners’ sugar, beating until combined. Add cream and coconut extract; beat at medium speed until stiff peaks form.
Find delicious recipes, party ideas for every occasion, and more by ordering your Southern Lady subscription today!