These impressive Risotto Cakes with Roasted Mushroom Caviar are perfect appetizers for seasonal gatherings.
Risotto Cakes with Roasted Mushroom Caviar
Makes about 36
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped shallot
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 cups Arborio rice
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 5 cups vegetable broth, warm
- ½ cup roasted chopped mushrooms, reserved from Roasted Mushroom Caviar (recipe follows)
- ½ cup grated Pecorino Romano cheese
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 1 cup rice flour
- ¼ cup soda water, plus more if needed
- Goat Cheese Cream (recipe follows)
- Roasted Mushroom Caviar (recipe follows)
- Garnish: chopped fresh parsley
- Roasted Mushroom Caviar
- 2 (8-ounce) packages fresh gourmet mushrooms
- 2 (8-ounce) packages sliced fresh cremini mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons black truffle oil 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- Goat Cheese Cream
- 1 (4-ounce) log goat cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt
- In a large saucepan, heat olive oil over medium heat; add shallot and garlic, and cook until tender, 30 seconds. Add rice; cook, stirring frequently, until lightly toasted, 5 minutes. Add white wine; cook until wine is absorbed by rice, 4 minutes. Add warm broth, about ¾ cup at a time, and cook, stirring constantly, letting broth get absorbed after each addition, until rice is tender and creamy, about 10 minutes after each addition. Stir in mushrooms, cheese, salt, and pepper.
- Spread rice mixture ¾-inch deep into a rimmed baking sheet. Refrigerate for 3 hours.
- Using a 1-inch biscuit cutter, cut circles.
- In a shallow skillet with straight edges, pour oil to a depth of 2 inches; heat over medium heat until a deep-fry thermometer registers 350°. In a large bowl, whisk together rice flour and soda water. Dip risotto cakes into batter, shaking off excess. Fry until golden brown, about 3 minutes.
- Remove from skillet, and let drain on paper towels. Top with Goat Cheese Cream and Roasted Mushroom Caviar. Garnish with fresh parsley, if desired.
- Roasted Mushroom Caviar: Preheat oven to 400°. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, toss together mushrooms, oil, salt, and pepper. Spread evenly onto prepared pan.
- Bake until browned, 30 minutes.
- Chop roasted mushrooms, reserving ½ cup for Risotto Cakes. In a medium bowl, stir together remaining chopped mushrooms, truffle oil, vinegar, and parsley.
- Goat Cheese Cream: In a small bowl, stir together goat cheese, sour cream, and salt. Spoon into a pastry bag for piping. Refrigerate for up to 5 days. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before using.
Discover inspiring style ideas, seasonal recipes, and more by ordering your Southern Lady subscription today!