Serve roasted mushrooms and asparagus with watercress for a delicious side dish on fall menus both casual and sophisticated.
Roasted Asparagus and Mushrooms with Watercress
Makes 4 to 6 servings
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 12 ounces assorted fresh mushrooms
- 1 pound fresh asparagus, trimmed and cut in half crosswise
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper, divided
- 2 tablespoons plus ½ teaspoon chopped fresh tarragon, divided
- 1 cup loosely packed fresh watercress
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- In a large skillet, melt butter over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms; cook, stirring frequently, until browned, 5 to 7 minutes. Reduce heat to medium. Add asparagus, 1½ teaspoons salt, ¾ teaspoon pepper, and 2 tablespoons tarragon. Cook, stirring frequently, until softened and fragrant, 3 to 4 minutes. Transfer to a serving platter and top with watercress.
- In a small bowl, whisk together lemon juice, garlic, remaining ½ teaspoon salt, remaining ¼ teaspoon pepper, and remaining ½ teaspoon tarragon. Slowly pour in oil, whisking continuously, until fully emulsified. Lightly drizzle over asparagus mixture and serve.
Discover inspiring style ideas, seasonal recipes, and more by ordering your Southern Lady subscription today!