Molasses, bacon, and thyme lend tasty flair to roasted carrots and parsnips.
Roasted Carrots and Parsnips with Bacon and Molasses
Makes 4 to 6 servings
- 5 slices thick-cut bacon, chopped
- 2 tablespoons light molasses
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 pound carrots, peeled and halved lengthwise
- 1 pound parsnips, peeled and halved lengthwise
- 1½ teaspoons kosher salt
- ¾ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- Preheat oven to 425°. Line a rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- In a medium skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crispy, about 20 minutes. Using slotted spoon, remove bacon from pan and let drain on paper towels. Reserve 3 tablespoons bacon drippings in small bowl.
- In another small bowl, whisk together molasses, lemon juice, and 1 tablespoon reserved bacon drippings.
- To prepared pan, add carrot, parsnip, salt, nutmeg, pepper, and remaining 2 tablespoons reserved bacon drippings, tossing to coat well. Arrange in an even layer.
- Bake, turning once, until tender, about 20 minutes. Drizzle molasses mixture over vegetables and bake for 5 minutes more. Transfer vegetables and any accumulated juices to serving platter.
- In a small bowl, combine bacon and thyme. Sprinkle bacon mixture over vegetables. Serve warm.
Discover seasonal recipes, inspiring style ideas, and more by ordering your Southern Lady subscription today!