This Roasted Red Pepper and Fennel Bisque with a generous topping of crème fraîche from our “A Wondrous Feast” in the Holidays 2020 issue is a savory treat. This fabulous holiday menu also includes Buttermilk Sage Biscuits, Sweet Potato-Rosemary Gratin, Mustard and Pear-Glazed Pork Loin, Broccolini with Clementines and Ginger, Cream Cheese-Almond Sugar Cookies, Chocolate Espresso Cake. Pick up your copy today at newsstands or online to get the entire menu.
Roasted Red Pepper and Fennel Bisque
Makes 8 to 10 servings
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3 cups chopped fennel bulb
- 11⁄2 cups chopped yellow onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 11⁄4 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 3 cups water
- 2 (16-ounce) jars sliced roasted red peppers, drained
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1⁄3 cup tomato paste
- 1⁄4 cup heavy whipping cream
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Garnish: crème fraîche, chopped fennel fronds
- In a medium Dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat. Add fennel, onion, garlic, and 1⁄4 teaspoon salt; cover and cook over medium- low heat, stirring occasionally, until so ened but not browned, about 30 minutes.
- Add broth, 3 cups water, roasted peppers, black pepper, crushed red pepper, and remaining 1 teaspoon salt; bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until fennel is tender, about 30 minutes. Let cool.
- In the container of a blender, process pepper mixture in batches until smooth. Return to Dutch oven; whisk in tomato paste and cream. Cook, whisking frequently, until heated through, about 10 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste. Garnish with crème fraîche and fennel fronds, if desired.
Order your copy of the Southern Lady November/October 2018 issue today! This issue is available on newsstands, digital platforms, and in our online store.