This Roasted Tomato Soup and Ultimate Grilled Cheese make a simple and comforting winter meal.
Roasted Tomato Soup
Makes about 3 quarts
- 5 pounds Roma tomatoes, halved
- 1 large yellow onion, sliced
- 4 large carrots, peeled and sliced ½ inch thick
- 2 heads garlic, peeled
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1½ teaspoons salt, divided
- 1½ teaspoons ground black pepper, divided
- 2 quarts chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- ¼ teaspoon ground red pepper (optional)
- Preheat oven to 450°. Line a roasting pan with aluminum foil.
- In a large bowl, combine tomatoes, onion, carrots, garlic, olive oil, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1 teaspoon black pepper, tossing gently to coat vegetables. Place in prepared pan; bake for 1 hour, stirring halfway through cooking time. Remove from oven; cool for 10 minutes.
- In the container of a blender, purée vegetables, in batches, until smooth.
- In a Dutch oven, combine vegetable purée, chicken broth, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, remaining ½ teaspoon salt, remaining ½ teaspoon black pepper, and red pepper, if desired, whisking until smooth. Bring to a simmer over medium heat; cook for 10 minutes.
Ultimate Grilled Cheese
Makes 6 servings
- 6 slices Cheddar cheese
- 6 slices Swiss cheese
- 6 slices Colby-Jack cheese
- 6 slices Muenster cheese
- 12 slices Texas toast
- 1 (5.2-ounce) package garlic and herbs cheese, softened*
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- Place 1 slice Cheddar, Swiss, Colby-Jack, and Muenster cheese on each of 6 slices of Texas toast. Spread about 2 tablespoons garlic and herbs cheese on remaining 6 slices of Texas toast, and place, prepared side down, on top of cheese slices. Spread butter on each side of sandwiches. Heat a nonstick skillet over medium-low heat. Cook sandwiches, covered, for 6 to 7 minutes on each side or until lightly browned and cheese is melted. Serve immediately.
*For testing purposes, we used Boursin garlic and fine herbs cheese.
Don’t miss our delicious recipes, party ideas for every occasion, and seasonally themed special issues! Subscribe to Southern Lady today!