Carrots, zucchini, and other early-autumn gems are pureed into a silken, soul-warming soup, perfect for packing in a Thermos.
Write a review
- 6 carrots, cut in half lengthwise (approximately 3/4 pound)
- 3 medium zucchini, cut in half lengthwise (approximately 1 1/4 pounds)
- 8 plum tomatoes, cut in half lengthwise and seeded (approximately 1 1/2 pounds)
- 4 large unpeeled cloves garlic
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper, divided
- 2 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup half-and-half
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- Garnish: smoked paprika
- Preheat oven to 400°. Cut carrot pieces and zucchini pieces in half crosswise.
- In a large bowl, combine carrot, zucchini, tomatoes, garlic, oil, thyme, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper; toss well. Arrange vegetable mixture in an even layer on a large rimmed baking sheet.
- Bake, turning occasionally, until vegetables are tender, 35 to 40 minutes. Let cool slightly. Remove peels from garlic cloves.
- In the container of a blender, combine one-third of vegetable mixture (including garlic and juices from baking sheet) and one-third of chicken broth. Process until smooth, stopping occasionally to scrape sides of container. Pour puréed vegetables into a large saucepan. Repeat procedure twice with remaining vegetables and chicken broth.
- Add remaining 1 teaspoon salt, remaining 1/4 teaspoon pepper, half-and-half, and paprika. Cook over medium heat until thoroughly heated, approximately 10 minutes.
- Serve with a dollop of sour cream. Garnish with smoked paprika, if desired.
Southern Lady Magazine https://www.southernladymagazine.com/