Satsuma Poppy Seed Loaf
Makes 1 (8×4-inch) loaf
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1¼ cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¾ cup whole milk
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon Satsuma orange zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons poppy seeds
- Satsuma Glaze (recipe follows)
- Preheat oven to 350°. Spray an 8×4-inch loaf pan with baking spray.
- In a large bowl whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. In a medium bowl whisk together milk, oil, eggs, zest, vanilla, and poppy seeds. Fold milk mixture into flour mixture. Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 1 hour and 5 minutes, covering after 45 minutes to prevent excess browning. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes. Remove from pan and let cool completely. Drizzle with Satsuma Glaze before serving.
- 1¾ cups confectioners’ sugar
- 2 tablespoons fresh-squeezed Satsuma juice
- Whisk ingredients together in a small bowl. Use immediately.
Kitchen Tip: Use fresh local citrus when available for even tastier results. Look for fruits that don’t have a shiny peel for the best-tasting zest.
Discover inspiring style ideas, seasonal recipes, and more by ordering your Southern Lady subscription today!