Add this Savory Carrot Bread to your favorite spring meals.
Savory Carrot Bread
Makes 1 (9-inch) loaf
- 2½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 1½ cups carrot puree
- 1½ cups plus ¼ cup finely grated Gruyère cheese, divided
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
- 1½ cups whole buttermilk
- ½ cup butter, melted
- 2 large eggs
- ½ teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°. Spray a 9x5-inch loaf pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Stir in carrot puree, 1½ cups cheese, and thyme.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together buttermilk, melted butter, and eggs. Add buttermilk mixture to flour mixture, stirring well to combine. Spoon batter into prepared pan. Sprinkle remaining ¼ cup cheese and pepper onto top of batter. Bake for 45 to 55 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes. Remove from pan, and let cool on wire rack.
Don’t miss our delicious recipes, party ideas for every occasion, and seasonally themed special issues! Subscribe to Southern Lady today!