Fruit preserves lend a hint of sweetness to our Mint and Bacon Vinaigrette, a delicious accompaniment for this arugula salad with seared scallops.
Scallops with Mint and Bacon Vinaigrette
MAKES 6 SERVINGS
- 1 pound thick-cut bacon, chopped
- ½ cup finely chopped fresh mint leaves
- 4 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 2 tablespoons whole grain mustard
- 2 tablespoons peach-mango preserves*
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 8 cups baby arugula
- 2 pounds fresh large sea scallops, side muscles removed
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium-high heat until brown and crispy, about 10 to 15 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, remove bacon and let drain on paper towels. Pour bacon drippings into a measuring cup and reserve.
- In a small bowl, whisk together mint, vinegar, mustard, preserves, garlic, salt, and pepper. Slowly whisk in ½ cup reserved warm bacon drippings.
- Evenly divide arugula among 6 plates.
- Pat scallops dry with paper towels and cook in batches. In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon butter over medium-high heat. Add one-fourth of scallops, searing both sides until browned and scallops are firm and opaque, about 2 to 3 minutes per side. Repeat with remaining butter and scallops.
- Place scallops over arugula. Top with bacon and drizzle with warm vinaigrette. Serve immediately.
*We used Bonne Maman preserves.
Discover inspiring style ideas, seasonal recipes, and more by ordering your Southern Lady subscription today!