You’ll want a second helping of this delicious Scampi with Spaghetti Squash.
Scampi with Spaghetti Squash
Makes 6 to 8 servings
- 2 (3½- to 4-pound) spaghetti squash, cut in half lengthwise and seeded
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 2 teaspoons ground black pepper, divided
- 1 (0.5-ounce) package fresh thyme sprigs
- 1 (0.5-ounce) package fresh oregano sprigs
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup finely diced red onion
- ½ cup green onion, sliced diagonally ⅛-inch-thick
- ¼ cup capers, drained
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ cup dry white wine
- 4 tablespoons lemon juice
- ½ pound medium fresh shrimp, peeled and deveined (tail on)
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Garnish: grated Parmesan, thinly sliced green onion
- Preheat oven to 375°. Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil.
- Brush squash with oil and sprinkle with 1 teaspoon salt and 1 teaspoon pepper. Stuff squash cavities with thyme and oregano. Place squash cut side down on prepared pan.
- Bake until squash is tender, 35 to 40 minutes. Remove from oven, and increase heat to broil. Turn squash cut side up and let cool just enough to handle. Discard herbs. Using a fork, scrape warm squash into noodle-like strands and return to prepared pan.
- Broil squash for 5 minutes to evaporate extra moisture. Remove and let cool on pan.
- In a large skillet, melt butter over medium-high heat. Add red onion, green onion, capers, remaining 1 teaspoon salt, and remaining 1 teaspoon pepper; cook until onions are tender and beginning to brown, about 6 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute more, stirring frequently. Stir in wine and lemon juice. Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer until alcohol is cooked out, 3 to 4 minutes. Add shrimp and cook until just cooked through, 1 to 2 minutes per side. Remove shrimp from pan and set aside on plate. Add reserved spaghetti squash to pan, stirring to combine with vegetables. Fold in Parmesan and return shrimp to the skillet. Garnish with additional Parmesan and green onion, if desired. Serve immediately.
Discover inspiring style ideas, seasonal recipes, and more by ordering your Southern Lady subscription today!