This delicious Skillet Summer Squash with Bacon and Basil dish is a simple and easy recipe for Sunday suppers and seasonal cookouts.
Skillet Summer Squash with Bacon and Basil
Makes about 8 servings
- 4 slices thick-cut bacon
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1¼ pounds medium yellow squash, sliced
- 1¼ pounds medium zucchini, sliced
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ⅓ cup chopped fresh basil
- In a large deep skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove bacon, and let drain on paper towels, reserving drippings in skillet.
- Heat drippings over medium-high heat. Add onion; cook until lightly browned, about 2 minutes. Add squash, zucchini, salt, and pepper; cook, turning occasionally with a spatula, until tender and lightly browned, 8 to 10 minutes. Spoon into a serving bowl. Crumble bacon. Sprinkle bacon and basil over squash. Serve immediately.
Discover inspiring style ideas, seasonal recipes, and more by ordering your Southern Lady subscription today!