Slow-Cooker Sweet Tea Pulled Pork
Makes 8 to 10 servings
- 1 (4-pound) bone-in pork shoulder
- ⅓ cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1½ tablespoons kosher salt
- 1½ tablespoons loose tea (from 1 family-size tea bag)
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 large yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, smashed
- 4 cups brewed tea
- Peach-Sweet Tea Barbecue Sauce (recipe follows)
- Place pork in a slow cooker. In a small bowl, stir together brown sugar, salt, loose tea, black pepper, garlic, and red pepper; sprinkle over all sides of pork shoulder. Add onion and garlic to slow cooker; pour brewed tea over pork and vegetables. Cover and cook on high until meat is fork tender, about 5 hours.
- Remove from slow cooker, reserving cooking liquid; shred meat with 2 forks. Add cooking liquid as desired for extra flavor and moisture. Serve with Peach-Sweet Tea Barbecue Sauce.
Peach-Sweet Tea Barbecue Sauce
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 small shallot, minced
- 1½ cups brewed tea
- 1 cup ketchup
- ½ cup peach preserves
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1½ teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1½ teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- In a medium saucepan, melt butter over medium-high heat. Add garlic and shallot; cook until tender, about 3 minutes. Add tea, ketchup, preserves, vinegar, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, salt, and pepper, stirring to combine. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to medium. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until thickened, about 30 minutes.
Discover inspiring style ideas, delicious recipes, and more by ordering your Southern Lady subscription today!