Since nothing says Texas quite like smoky barbecued brisket, fold the delicious flavors of the Lone Star state into these buttery and flaky Smoked Brisket Hand Pies.
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 (14.1-ounce) packages refrigerated piecrust
- ¾ pound smoked beef brisket, chopped
- 1 cup finely shredded smoked Cheddar cheese
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons water
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- Preheat oven to 375°. Line large baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a small skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion; cook until lightly browned, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat.
- On a lightly floured surface, unroll piecrusts. Using a 4½-inch round cutter dipped in flour, cut dough, rerolling scraps as necessary. Brush edges of dough with water. Place about 1 tablespoon brisket onto lower half of one round. Top with about 1 teaspoon onion and 2 teaspoons Cheddar. Fold dough over filling; pinch seams to seal. Place on prepared pan. Repeat with remaining dough, brisket, onion, and Cheddar.
- In a small bowl, whisk together egg and 2 teaspoons water. Brush egg wash onto dough, and sprinkle with salt. Prick top of dough once with a fork dipped in flour.
- Bake until golden brown, 15 to 17 minutes.
Discover inspiring style ideas, seasonal recipes, and more by ordering your Southern Lady subscription today!