Smoked Sausage Gumbo Casserole
Makes 12 to 14 servings
- ¾ cup vegetable oil, divided
- 2 cups chopped yellow onion
- 1 cup chopped celery
- ½ cup chopped green bell pepper
- ½ cup chopped red bell pepper
- 2 cups rice
- 1 quart chicken broth
- 2 (14.5-ounce) cans fire roasted diced tomatoes
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 (16-ounce) package smoked sausage, sliced and cooked
- 2 cups frozen sliced okra
- 2 tablespoons hot sauce
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons Creole seasoning
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Garnish: chopped green onions, fresh oregano leaves
- Preheat oven to 350°. Spray a 4-quart baking dish with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large Dutch oven, heat 14 cup vegetable oil over medium-high heat. Add onion, celery, and bell peppers. Cook, stirring frequently, for 10 minutes. Add rice; cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Add broth and tomatoes; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, and cook, covered, until rice is tender, approximately 20 minutes. Remove from heat.
- In a medium skillet, combine remaining ½ cup vegetable oil and flour; cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until roux is a caramel color, about 10 minutes. Transfer roux to Dutch oven.
- Add sausage, okra, hot sauce, Worcestershire sauce, Creole seasoning, and garlic powder to Dutch oven, stirring to combine. Spoon mixture into prepared pan.
- Cover with heavy-duty foil, and bake until heated through, 30 to 45 minutes. Uncover, and garnish with green onions and oregano, if desired.
Discover inspiring style ideas, seasonal recipes, and more by ordering your Southern Lady subscription today!