This tasty Smoky Tomato Soup with Bacon Cheese Straws will become a family favorite.
Smoky Tomato Soup with Bacon Cheese Straws
Makes 6 to 8 servings
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1½ cups chopped onion
- 1½ tablespoons garlic, minced
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 (32-ounce) carton chicken stock
- 1 (28-ounce) can fire-roasted crushed tomatoes, undrained
- ½ teaspoon ground chipotle chile pepper
- ¼ teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1½ tablespoons thinly sliced fresh basil
- Bacon Cheese Straws (recipe follows), to serve
- Garnish: thinly sliced fresh basil, ground black pepper
- In a large Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic; cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Stir in flour until well combined; cook 2 to 3 minutes. Gradually stir in half of stock. Bring to a low boil; cook until thickened, stirring frequently. Stir in remaining stock, tomatoes, ground chipotle chile pepper, chili powder, salt, and black pepper; bring just to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally until thickened, 20 to 30 minutes.
- Transfer half of soup to the container of a blender. Secure lid on blender and remove center piece of lid to let steam escape. Place a clean towel over opening in lid to avoid splatters, and process until smooth.
- Return blended soup to soup mixture in pot. Add basil, and stir to combine.
- Serve immediately with Bacon Cheese Straws. Garnish with basil and black pepper, if desired.
Bacon Cheese Straws
- 6 slices bacon, chopped
- 1¼ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon dry mustard
- ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup shredded Havarti cheese, room temperature
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove bacon; let drain on paper towels.
- In the work bowl of a food processor, combine flour, salt, garlic powder, mustard, paprika, and pepper; pulse 2 to 4 times until well combined. Add chopped bacon, cheese, and butter. Pulse until a dough forms.
- Spoon dough into a piping bag fitted with a Wilton 4B open star tip. Pipe dough into 6-inch lines, spaced about 1 inch apart on unlined, ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake until lightly golden and crisp, 8 to 10 minutes.
Kitchen Tip: Bake on unlined, ungreased baking sheets to ensure the cheese straws are crisp.
Discover inspiring style ideas, seasonal recipes, and more by ordering your Southern Lady subscription today!