Spinach and Mushroom-Stuffed Pork Loin
Makes 10 to 12 servings
- ¼ cup butter
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 (8-ounce) package fresh baby portobello mushrooms
- ½ cup chopped red bell pepper
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 (10-ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, squeezed dry
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper, divided
- 1 (5-ounce) package shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 (5-pound) pork loin roast, trimmed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Lemon Herb Sauce (recipe follows)
- In a Dutch oven, heat butter over medium heat until melted. Add onion, mushrooms, bell pepper, and garlic; cook, stirring frequently, until tender, about 10 minutes. Add spinach, rosemary, ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper, stirring to combine; cook for 3 minutes. Add cheese, stirring just until combined.
- Preheat oven to 475°.
- Place pork loin on a clean surface, and cut into one side of meat, leaving a ½-inch border. Continue cutting until loin is able to be rolled out into a rectangle and is about ½ inch thick. Place a piece of heavy-duty plastic wrap on top of pork. Using a meat mallet, pound meat until it reaches an even thickness of about ½ inch. Spread spinach-mushroom filling on pork loin, leaving a 1-inch border. Roll up lengthwise, jelly-roll style. Secure with butcher’s twine. Rub outside of stuffed pork loin with oil, and sprinkle with remaining ½ teaspoon salt and remaining ¼ teaspoon pepper. Place pork seam side down in a roasting pan.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Reduce oven to 325°. Loosely cover with foil, and bake until a meat thermometer inserted in thickest portion registers 155° or to desired degree of doneness, 45 to 55 minutes. Let stand for 10 minutes before slicing. Serve with Lemon Herb Sauce.
Lemon Herb Sauce
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- In a small saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add rosemary, thyme, oregano, and garlic powder; cook for 3 minutes. Add flour; cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Gradually add broth, whisking until smooth. Add lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Bring to a simmer; cook, stirring occasionally, until sauce is slightly thickened, about 20 minutes.
Discover inspiring style ideas, seasonal recipes, and more by ordering your Southern Lady subscription today!