Spring Leek Soup with Gruyere Toast is a delectable spring recipe.
Spring Leek Soup with Gruyère Toast
Makes about 1½ quarts
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 medium sweet onion, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup sherry vinegar
- 2 large leeks, thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken stock
- 4 baguette slices, cut into ½-inch thick cubes
- ½ cup shredded Gruyère cheese
- Garnish: ground black pepper, chopped fresh thyme
- Preheat oven to broil. Place 4 oven-safe bowls on a small rimmed baking sheet.
- In a large Dutch oven, melt butter over medium heat. Add onion; cook, stirring occasionally, until golden brown, about 15 minutes. Add vinegar; cook until almost evaporated, about 1 minute. Add leek, garlic, thyme, salt, and pepper; cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add stock; bring to a boil. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Ladle soup into prepared bowls. Top each with bread cubes, and sprinkle with cheese.
- Broil until golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes. Garnish with pepper and thyme, if desired.