The decadent cream cheese frosting and gorgeous floral garnish on this Springtime Strawberry Cake make it an irresistible seasonal sweet.
Springtime Strawberry Cake
Makes 1 (9-inch) cake
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs, separated
- 4 cups cake flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup whole milk
- Strawberry Cream Cheese Frosting (recipe follows)
- Garnish: fresh flowers
- Preheat oven to 325°. Spray 3 (9-inch) round cake pans with baking spray with flour.
- In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar with a mixer at medium speed until fluffy, 3 to 4 minutes, stopping to scrape sides of bowl. Add egg yolks, one at a time, beating well after each addition. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. Gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture alternately with milk, beginning and ending with flour mixture, beating just until combined after each addition.
- In another large bowl, beat egg whites with a mixer at high speed until soft peaks form. Gently stir one-third of egg whites into batter; fold in remaining egg whites. Spoon batter into prepared pans.
- Bake until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, 20 to 25 minutes. Let cool in pans for 10 minutes. Remove from pans, and let cool completely on wire racks. Spread Strawberry Cream Cheese Frosting between layers and on top and sides of cake. Garnish with fresh flowers, if desired.
Strawberry Cream Cheese Frosting
Makes 6 cups
- 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- ⅓ cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup fresh strawberries, hulled
- ¼ teaspoon almond extract
- 1 (2-pound) package confectioners’ sugar
- In a large bowl, beat cream cheese and butter with a mixer at medium speed until creamy.
- In the container of a blender, purée strawberries until smooth. Measure out ⅓ cup purée (reserve remainder for another use), and add purée and almond extract to cream cheese mixture, beating until combined. Gradually add confectioners’ sugar, beating until smooth.