Strawberry Meringue Ice Cream is a summer treat. Serve it on your favorite ice cream cone.
Strawberry Meringue Ice Cream
Makes about 2 quarts
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 1½ cups sugar
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon strawberry extract
- 1 (1-pound) container fresh strawberries, puréed
- 1 (5-ounce) container vanilla meringue cookies, crumbled
- Garnish: fresh strawberries, crushed meringue cookies
- In a large saucepan, bring cream, half-and-half, and sugar just to a simmer over medium heat (do not boil).
- In a small bowl, combine egg yolks and strawberry extract. Add 2 cups hot cream mixture to egg mixture, whisking to combine. Whisking constantly, gradually add egg mixture to remaining hot cream mixture in saucepan. Cook until mixture coats the back of a spoon, 6 to 7 minutes. Remove from heat, and let cool for 10 minutes.
- Strain mixture through a fine-mesh sieve into an airtight container. Whisk in strawberry purée. Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Pour mixture and crumbled cookies into the container of an ice cream freezer, and freeze according to manufacturer’s instructions. Ice cream will be soft. For a firmer texture, spoon ice cream into a freezer-safe container, and freeze for up to 1 month. Garnish with strawberries and crushed cookies, if desired.
Discover inspiring style ideas, seasonal recipes, and more by ordering your Southern Lady subscription today!