Pastry dough takes shape as envelopes filled with strawberry preserves, finished with sparkling sugar and whipped cream.
Strawberry Pie Love Letters
- ½ (14.1-ounce) package refrigerated piecrusts
- ¼ cup thinly sliced fresh strawberries
- 1 tablespoon seedless strawberry preserves
- ½ teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon whole milk
- ½ teaspoon sparkling sugar
- Garnish: thinly sliced strawberries
- Sweetened whipped cream, to serve
- Preheat oven to 375°. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. Spray 2 (4-inch) squares of foil with cooking spray.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough. Using a fluted pastry cutter, cut a 6-inch square from dough. Cut 3 (¾-inch) hearts from excess dough. Roll remaining dough scraps into ⅛-inch thickness and repeat procedure.
- For each pie, arrange dough into a diamond shape. In a small bowl, gently toss together strawberries, preserves, and cornstarch. Spoon half of strawberry mixture into the center of dough. Fold bottom point over strawberry mixture; fold right and left points toward the center. Brush dough with milk. Place 1 heart in center where points meet and 1 on each side. Leave top point unfolded. Sprinkle dough with ¼ teaspoon sugar. Place on prepared pan.
- Bake until pastry is golden brown, about 20 minutes. Cover the unfolded points loosely with prepared foil squares, coated side down, after 10 minutes to prevent overbrowning, if necessary. Let cool completely.
- Garnish with strawberries, if desired. Serve with whipped cream.
Kitchen Tip: Brush strawberry slices used for garnish with Cointreau (orange-flavored liqueur), if desired.
Discover inspiring style ideas, seasonal recipes, and more by ordering your Southern Lady subscription today!