This colorful and flavorful Summer Squash and Tomato Salad includes zucchini and yellow squash ribbons, tomatoes, basil leaves, and fresh mozzarella.
Summer Squash and Tomato Salad
Makes about 8 servings
- 1 medium zucchini
- 1 medium yellow squash
- 3½ pounds assorted fresh tomatoes, cut into slices, quarters, or wedges
- 1 pound fresh mozzarella, sliced
- 1 cup lightly packed fresh basil leaves
- ½ cup red wine vinegar
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon sugar
- 6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- For salad: Using a vegetable peeler, shave zucchini and squash into ribbons, stopping at the seeds. Place ribbons in ice water until they begin to curl, about 30 minutes. Drain ribbons; pat dry with paper towels. On a serving platter, arrange ribbons, tomatoes, mozzarella, and basil.
- For dressing: In a medium bowl, whisk together vinegar, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and sugar. Slowly whisk in oil. Drizzle desired amount of dressing over salad. Sprinkle with Parmesan. Serve immediately. Store any remaining dressing in refrigerator for up to 2 days.
Discover inspiring style ideas, seasonal recipes, and more by ordering your Southern Lady subscription today!