This decadent Sweet Potato Gingerbread with Pecan Butter Sauce tastes just like autumn!
Sweet Potato Gingerbread with Pecan Butter Sauce
Makes 12 servings
- 2½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1½ teaspoons baking soda
- 1½ teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1¼ cups firmly packed light brown sugar
- ½ cup butter, softened
- 1 cup mashed cooked sweet potato
- ½ cup evaporated milk
- ¼ cup dark molasses
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Maple Pecan Butter Sauce (recipe follows)
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease and flour a 13x9-inch pan.
- In a medium bowl, sift together flour, baking soda, ginger, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine brown sugar and butter; beat at medium speed with an electric mixer until fluffy. Add sweet potato, milk, molasses, eggs, and vanilla, beating to mix well. Gradually add flour mixture to sweet potato mixture, beating until combined.
- Spoon batter into prepared pan. Bake for 30 to 40 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes. Remove from pan, and cut into 12 squares. Serve warm with Maple Pecan Butter Sauce.
Maple Pecan Butter Sauce
Makes about 2 cups
- 1 cup maple syrup
- ½ cup butter, cut into pieces
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup pecan pieces
- In a medium saucepan, combine maple syrup, butter, sugar, and egg over medium heat. Simmer mixture for 6 minutes, whisking constantly. Remove from heat, and stir in vanilla. Just before serving, stir in pecans. Serve warm.
Discover inspiring style ideas, seasonal recipes, and more by ordering your Southern Lady subscription today!