Fall spices and sweet potato mingle in these delightful mini cakes topped with cream cheese frosting and chopped nuts.
Sweet Potato Mini Cakes
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3 cups shredded fresh sweet potato
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- Cream Cheese Frosting (recipe follows)
- Garnish: chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350˚. Lightly spray an 8-cup large muffin tin with cooking spray. In a large bowl, whisk together flour, salt, baking powder, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Add sweet potato and walnuts. Make a well in center of flour mixture.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together sugars, eggs, and oil. Add sugar mixture to flour mixture, stirring just until moistened. Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups.
- Bake until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, 25 to 30 minutes. Let cool in pan for 5 minutes. Remove from pan. Spread Cream Cheese Frosting evenly on each mini cake. Garnish with walnuts, if desired.
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese
- ½ cup unsalted butter, softened
- 4 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- In a large bowl, beat cream cheese and butter with a mixer at medium speed until smooth, 2 minutes. Add confectioners’ sugar, vanilla, and maple syrup, and beat until desired consistency.
Discover inspiring style ideas, seasonal recipes, and more by ordering your Southern Lady subscription today!