This herbaceous Sweet Potato-Sage Soup comes together in a snap and pairs well with a side of cornbread.
Sweet Potato-Sage Soup
Makes 1½ quarts
- 4 slices thick-cut bacon, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (32-ounce) container chicken broth 6 sage leaves
- 4 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Garnish: cooked bacon, sage leaves
- In a Dutch oven, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove bacon, and set aside. Add onion to Dutch oven and cook until tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add garlic, and cook for 1 minute. Add broth, sage, potatoes, and curry; cover, and cook until potatoes are tender, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Remove from heat, and let cool for 30 minutes.
- Puree potatoes with an immersion blender, or in 3 batches with a regular blender. Return to heat, and add salt and pepper to taste. Garnish with bacon and sage, if desired.
Discover inspiring style ideas, seasonal recipes, and more by ordering your Southern Lady subscription today!