Makes 25 to 30 cookies
Write a review
- 6 1/2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 generous teaspoon baking powder
- Finely grated zest of 1 orange
- TO DECORATE
- Scant 1/2 cup seedless orange marmalade
- 1 1/3 cups shredded coconut
- 2 prepared baking sheets
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- Beat the butter and sugar together in a large mixing bowl until smooth. Add the egg, and continue to beat until fully incorporated. Stir in the flour, baking powder and orange zest and bring the mixture together to form a stiff dough.
- Roll the mixture into small balls the size of walnuts and lay on the prepared baking sheets, leaving a little space for spreading between each one. Pat down lightly for a flat finish (as pictured) or leave ball-shaped for a snowball bite.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 10 minutes, until light golden and firm.
- Leave on the baking sheet for 5 minutes or so to cool slightly, and then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Put the dessicated/shredded coconut in a wide, shallow dish and set aside.
- When the snowballs are cold, gently warm the marmalade in a small saucepan set over a low heat and brush it over the entire surface of the snowballs. Press or roll the cookies in the coconut to coat and leave to set. Store in an airtight container or cookie jar and eat within 1 week.
Southern Lady Magazine https://www.southernladymagazine.com/
Photography Credit: Ryland Peters & Small