Tarte Tatin is a signature French pastry in which the fruit is caramelized in butter and sugar before the tart is baked. It’s a simple but decadent fall dessert that you’re sure to love.
Makes 8 servings
- 1¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ cup cold unsalted butter, cubed
- ¼ cup ice water
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- ½ cup sugar
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, cubed
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
- 4 large Golden Delicious apples (about 2¼ pounds), peeled, cored, and cut into 6 wedges each
- 1 tablespoon apple brandy
- Apple Brandy Whipped Cream (recipe follows)
- Garnish: ground cinnamon
- For crust: In the work bowl of a food processor, pulse together flour, sugar, and salt. Add cold butter, and pulse until mixture is crumbly. With processor running, add ice water and vinegar in a slow, steady stream just until dough comes together. Turn out dough, and shape into a disk. Wrap in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 375°. Let dough stand at room temperature until slightly softened, about 15 minutes.
- For filling: In a 12-inch straight-sided stainless steel skillet, combine sugar, butter, and corn syrup. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until mixture begins to turn light brown, 5 to 6 minutes. Brush any sugar crystals on sides of pan with a pastry brush dipped in water. Remove from heat; add apples. Cook over medium heat, gently shaking pan 2 or 3 times, until apples begin to soften on bottom and lightly brown, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll dough into a 13-inch circle. Place over apples, carefully tucking edges of dough around apples. Cut 2 (½-inch) vents in top of dough.
- Bake until crust is lightly browned, 38 to 40 minutes. Let cool for 5 minutes.
- Place a rimmed serving plate over tart; carefully invert tart. Brush with brandy. Let cool completely. Serve with Apple Brandy Whipped Cream. Garnish with cinnamon, if desired.
Apple Brandy Whipped Cream
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream, chilled
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons apple brandy
- ⅛ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- In a medium bowl, beat all ingredients with a mixer at high speed until thickened. Serve immediately.
Discover inspiring style ideas, seasonal recipes, and more by ordering your Southern Lady subscription today!