On white and wheat bread, fresh basil pesto enlivens layers of roasted turkey for these delicious Turkey-Pesto Tea Sandwiches.
Turkey-Pesto Tea Sandwiches
Makes 9 tea sandwiches
- 5 cups lightly packed baby spinach
- 2 cups lightly packed basil leaves
- 1 cup toasted pecans
- ⅔ cup finely shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
- 2 small cloves garlic
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- 9 slices very thin white or whole wheat bread*
- 18 slices ultra-thin deli-style roast turkey
- Garnish: small fresh basil leaves
- In the work bowl of a food processor, combine spinach, basil, pecans, cheese, vinegar, garlic, salt, and pepper; pulse until finely chopped. Add olive oil in a slow, steady stream, pulsing until smooth.
- To build 1 sandwich, spread 1½ tablespoons spinach mixture in a thin, even layer onto 1 bread slice. Layer with 3 turkey slices; add another 1½ tablespoons pesto mixture, spread in an even layer. Top with another bread slice and repeat layers once; cover with a third bread slice. Repeat with remaining bread slices, spinach mixture, and turkey.
- Using a serrated knife, trim edges of sandwiches to create 3 rectangles; cut each lengthwise into 3 rectangular tea sandwiches. Serve immediately. Garnish with basil, if desired.
Discover inspiring style ideas, delicious recipes, and more by ordering your Southern Lady subscription today!