A homemade caramel sauce makes these rich Turtle Brownies extra-special.
Write a review
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 3 (4-ounce) bars semisweet chocolate, such as Ghirardelli, chopped
- 4 large eggs
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons instant espresso coffee
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Caramel Sauce (recipe follows)
- 2 3/4 cups pecan halves, divided
- 2 cups semisweet chocolate morsels, divided
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- Preheat oven to 350°. Spray a 13x9-inch baking dish with baking spray with flour. Set aside.
- In a medium glass bowl set over a pot of simmering water, melt butter and chocolate. Remove from heat, and let cool for approximately 10 minutes. Add eggs, sugars, espresso, and vanilla. Whisk until well combined. Add flour and salt, stirring until combined.
- Pour half of batter into prepared pan. Reserve remaining batter. Smooth batter in pan, using an offset spatula. Bake until set, approximately 10 minutes.
- Pour Caramel Sauce over cooked brownie layer. Top with 1 1/2 cups pecan halves and 1 cup chocolate morsels. Spoon remaining batter over morsels; smooth using an offset spatula. Top batter with remaining 1 1/4 cups pecan halves and 1 cup chocolate morsels.
- Bake until brownie is set, approximately 20 minutes. Let brownie cool completely before slicing into squares.
For caramel sauce
- In a medium saucepan, bring sugar and water to a boil over medium-high heat. Continue to cook, without stirring, until mixture turns an amber color. Remove from heat.
- Carefully stir in butter, cream, and salt until smooth. Let cool until slightly thickened, approximately 5 minutes.
Southern Lady Magazine https://www.southernladymagazine.com/
Don’t miss an issue of our delicious recipes, party ideas for every occasion, and more, plus seasonal themed special issues! Subscribe to Southern Lady today!