This Vanilla Bean Ice Cream with Blueberry Wine Sauce is a special summertime treat!
Vanilla Bean Ice Cream
Makes about 12 servings
- 9 cups milk, divided
- 1 (12-ounce) can evaporated milk
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 vanilla beans, split and seeds scraped
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 (3.4-ounce) package instant vanilla pudding mix
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 recipe Blueberry Wine Sauce (recipe follows)
- Garnish: fresh mint
- In a medium saucepan, combine 4 cups milk, evaporated milk, sugar, and vanilla bean seeds over medium heat. Cook for 8 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until milk is heated and sugar is dissolved; do not boil. Gradually add 2 cups hot milk mixture to eggs, beating to combine well. Pour egg mixture into remaining hot milk mixture, whisking constantly. Cook for 2 minutes, whisking constantly. Remove from heat; cool for 30 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine milk mixture, condensed milk, pudding mix, lemon juice, and vanilla extract, whisking to combine well. Cover, and chill completely. Add remaining 5 cups milk, stirring to combine well. Pour ice cream mixture into container of an ice cream freezer, and freeze according to manufacturer’s instructions.
- Spoon ice cream into a freezer-safe container, and freeze for at least 4 hours for a firmer texture. Serve with Blueberry Wine Sauce. Garnish with fresh mint, if desired.
Blueberry Wine Sauce
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 cups blueberry wine*
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- In a medium saucepan, combine sugar, water, and lemon juice. Bring to a simmer, stirring frequently, until sugar is dissolved. Add wine; cook to 225° on a candy thermometer, stirring frequently. Remove from heat; add blueberries, stirring to combine well. Serve warm or room temperature. Store, covered, in refrigerator.
*For testing, we used blueberry wine from Morgan Creek Vineyards, located in Harpersville, Alabama. For information, visit morgancreekwinery.com.
Discover seasonal style ideas, delicious recipes, and more by ordering your Southern Lady subscription today!