You’ll want more than one slice of this mouthwatering Vanilla Cake with Strawberry Icing.
Vanilla Cake with Strawberry Icing
Makes 1 (9-inch) cake
- 3 cups unsalted butter, softened
- 4 cups sugar
- 8 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups whole buttermilk
- Strawberry Icing (recipe follows)
- Garnish: fresh strawberries
- Preheat oven to 350°. Spray 3 (9-inch) round cake pans with baking spray with flour.
- In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar with a mixer at medium speed until fluffy, 3 to 4 minutes, stopping to scrape sides of bowl. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla.
- In another large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. Reduce mixer speed to low. Gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture alternately with buttermilk, beginning and ending with flour mixture, beating just until combined after each addition. Spoon batter into prepared pans.
- Bake until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, 30 to 35 minutes. Let cool in pans for 10 minutes. Remove from pans, and let cool completely on wire racks. Spread Strawberry Icing between layers and on top and sides of cake. Garnish with strawberries, if desired.
Makes about 6 cups
- 2 (8-ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup butter, softened
- ½ cup strawberry preserves
- 7 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 2 teaspoons strawberry extract
- In a large bowl, beat cream cheese, butter, and strawberry preserves with a mixer at medium speed until creamy. Gradually add confectioners’ sugar, beating until smooth. Beat in strawberry extract.
Discover inspiring style ideas, seasonal recipes, and more by ordering your Southern Lady subscription today!