This delicious Vanilla-Infused Cranberry-Apple Cider from “Festive Fondue” in the January/February 2019 issue is a refreshing treat. The menu also includes Seared Beef Tenderloin with Mushrooms and Horseradish Cream Sauce, Smoked Gouda and Roasted Garlic Dip with Prosciutto- Wrapped Asparagus, and Dark Chocolate-Hazelnut Dip with Strawberries and Biscotti. Pick up your copy today at newsstands or online to get the entire menu.
Vanilla-Infused Cranberry-Apple Cider
Makes 2 Quarts
- 6 cups 100% unfiltered apple juice*
- 2 cups 100% cranberry juice
- 1⁄2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 6 whole cloves
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 2 whole allspice berries
- 1 star anise pod
- 1 orange, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup fresh cranberries
- 1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise, seeds scraped and reserved
- Garnish: orange slices, cinnamon sticks, fresh cranberries
- In a large stockpot, combine apple juice, cranberry juice, and brown sugar.
- Place cloves, cinnamon sticks, allspice, and star anise in a square of cheesecloth. Bring edges of cheesecloth together to completely enclose spices; secure with kitchen twine. Add spice bundle to pot along with orange slices, cranberries, and vanilla bean and reserved seeds; bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat, and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Let stand for 30 minutes to 2 hours, depending on desired spice level. Discard solids, and pour cider into mugs. Garnish with orange slices, cinnamon sticks, and cranberries, if desired.
*We used Simply Apple Pure Pressed Apple Juice.
Order your copy of the Southern Lady January/February 2019 issue today! This issue is available on newsstands, digital platforms, and in our online store.