Our Warm Oyster-Spinach Dip is a special treat. Mix this coastal delicacy into a creamy spinach dip and dollop servings onto collected shells or dishes.
Warm Oyster-Spinach Dip
Makes about 2½ cups
- Rock salt
- 6 slices bacon
- ¾ cup chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 6 cups chopped fresh spinach
- 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, so ened
- 3 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon Creole seasoning
- ½ teaspoon lemon zest
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 8 medium to large fresh oysters, shucked, shells reserved and cleaned
- ¼ cup panko (Japanese bread crumbs)
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
- Lemon wedges and assorted crackers, to serve
- Preheat oven to 350°. Sprinkle a layer of rock salt onto a large rimmed baking sheet.
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove bacon, and let drain on paper towels, reserving 1 tablespoon drippings in skillet.
- Add onion to skillet; cook until lightly browned, about 4 minutes. Add garlic; cook for 1 minute. Add spinach; cook until wilted, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat. Add cream
- cheese, Parmesan, salt, Creole seasoning, zest, and pepper. Cook over low heat until cream cheese is melted and smooth. Remove from heat. Cut oysters in half and add to mixture. Spoon about 2 tablespoons mixture onto each oyster shell. Place shells on prepared pan.
- In a small bowl, toss together bread crumbs and oil. Sprinkle over oyster mixture.
- Bake until heated through and bread crumbs are lightly browned, about 12 minutes. Crumble bacon. Sprinkle bacon and parsley over dip. Serve with lemon wedges and crackers.
Kitchen Tip: If you don't have access to oysters in the shell, substitute 1 (8-ounce) container pasteurized shucked oysters, drained. Spoon dip into a 1-quart baking dish. Sprinkle with bread crumbs, and bake until heated through and crumbs are lightly browned, 15 to 20 minutes. Let stand for 10 minutes. Sprinkle with bacon and parsley.