Winter temperatures don’t mean flowers have to be forgotten until spring. From cool neutrals to bold hues, our favorite winter floral arrangements provide a wide range of options. Purple ranks among our favorite colors for the season, with dark and bright options that can pair for an especially enchanting setting. Or move to the opposite end of the spectrum, and play with white flowers as a nod to the frosty sparkle of the outdoors. Whatever you create, keeping fresh posies in your home will ensure brighter days until that spring sun is warming your cheeks once again.
1. Small but Mighty – Bold colors contrast with a demure setting in this mounded cube arrangement. Line the vase with aspidistra leaves, then create a symphony of sweetheart shades with pink anemones, red tulips, raspberry stock, antique green hydrangeas, hot-pink peonies, red spray roses, pink dorit roses, and pink hyacinths. (Flower arranging tip: Short flowers tend to outlast their long-stemmed counterparts.)
2. Winter Whites – Though these bulbs won’t be blooming outdoors until spring, you can get tulips at your florist year-round. Purchase the delicate bloom in winter’s signature white for an elegant and tasteful floral arrangement. For a rustic touch, tuck bunches of white tulips and greenery into vases encircled with twigs.
3. Deep Purple – Combine purple hydrangeas and brilliant magenta dahlias with a touch of greenery for a dramatic accent. Create these smaller arrangements in heirloom-silver monogrammed goblets as a nod to Southern tradition for your table. Then pair them with taller arrangements around the room.
4. Soft with a Sparkle – Arranged in a lovely Beatriz Ball pitcher in the classically styled Latur pattern, the ruffled blooms of David Austin’s ‘Patience’ white garden rose mingle with bright-faced anemones, soft pink majolica spray roses, tiny green berzillia berries, and fuzzy little pompons of brunia. The silvery leaves of dusty miller, elegant lichen branches, faux-snow-dusted pinecones, and sprigs of lacy Leyland cypress fluff and fill in. The result is a sumptuous arrangement that shines with seasonal pizzazz.
5. Decorative Greens – No need to fuss over a large selection of blooms. Instead, let a small arrangement make a unique holder the real conversation starter. Here, an antique jardinière turns a few ornamental oregano plants into a stunning centerpiece.
6. Rustic Elegance – We paired a range of seasonal greens with rich purple snapdragons and pink spray roses. The subtle contrast makes a lively arrangement that still complements the season. Re-create the arrangement by wrapping a glass vase in a birch bark sheet and twine. Insert pink Majolica spray roses for softness and berry-colored snapdragons for height, then add texture with rosemary, kale, juniper, and fountain grass. A grapevine circlet at the base offers a final rustic accent.
7. Dainty & Delicate – The dark purple ranunculus make a bold statement in this small arrangement. Perfect for a romantic table setting for two or as an accent on a sideboard, this vibrant hue needs just a touch of greenery for a lovely addition to your décor.
Don’t miss our delicious recipes, party ideas for every occasion, and seasonally themed special issues! Subscribe to Southern Lady today!