Add a refreshing new selection to your side dish rotation with our Zesty Mango Salad.
Zesty Mango Salad
Makes 6 to 8 servings
- ¼ cup plus 1 tablespoon olive oil (not extra-virgin), divided
- 3 ears shucked fresh yellow corn (about 1 pound)
- 1½ teaspoons lime zest
- ¼ cup fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon clover honey
- 1½ teaspoons kosher salt
- 1½ teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 clove garlic, grated
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- 2 cups chopped ripe mango
- 1 cup chopped assorted bell peppers
- ½ cup finely chopped red onion
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 large jalapeño, stemmed, seeded, and minced
- 1 (4-ounce) package watercress
- Garnish: fresh cilantro leaves
- In a 12-inch cast-iron skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high heat. Add corn; cook, rotating occasionally, until charred, about 4 to 5 minutes. Reduce heat to prevent excess browning, if needed. Transfer corn to a large plate; let stand until cool enough to handle, about 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, whisk together lime zest and juice, honey, salt, cumin, garlic, and chili powder. Gradually whisk in remaining ¼ cup oil until well combined.
- Cut kernels from corn cobs. Place kernels in bowl with lime mixture. Add mango, bell pepper, onion, cilantro, and jalapeño, stirring until well combined. Let stand at room temperature for 20 minutes.
- Place watercress in desired serving bowl. Using a large slotted spoon, transfer mango mixture to bowl with watercress, tossing to combine. Garnish with cilantro, if desired. Serve immediately.
Discover inspiring style ideas, seasonal recipes, and more by ordering your Southern Lady subscription today!