Banana Pudding Icebox Cake
Makes 1 (9-inch) cake
- 1½ cups vanilla wafer crumbs, plus more for garnish
- 1 cup plus 7 tablespoons sugar, divided
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 3 cups heavy whipping cream, divided
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 (8-ounce) packages cream cheese, softened and divided
- ¾ cup whole milk, divided
- 1 vanilla bean, seeds scraped and reserved
- 1 (3.4-ounce) box instant banana cream pudding mix
- 27 vanilla wafer cookies
- 3 medium bananas, sliced
- Garnish: mini vanilla wafers
- Line the bottom of a 9-inch springform pan with parchment paper. Cut 2 (3.5-inch-wide) strips of parchment paper to line the sides of pan.
- In a medium bowl, stir together vanilla wafer crumbs, 3 tablespoons sugar, ¼ teaspoon salt, and melted butter. Press into the bottom of prepared pan. Freeze until firm, about 20 minutes.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat cream and vanilla extract at medium speed until thickened. With mixer running, slowly add 4 tablespoons sugar. Increase mixer speed to medium-high, and beat until stiff peaks form. Place whipped cream in a large bowl.
- Wipe mixing bowl clean, and return to stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Beat 8 ounces cream cheese and ½ cup sugar at medium-low speed until smooth. Beat in 2 tablespoons milk and reserved vanilla bean seeds until combined. Discard vanilla bean. Using a whisk, fold in 2 cups whipped cream, one cup at a time, until no streaks remain. Place vanilla filling in another large bowl.
- Wipe mixing bowl clean, and return to stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Beat remaining 8 ounces cream cheese and remaining ½ cup sugar at medium-low speed until smooth. Add 6 tablespoons milk, one tablespoon at a time, alternately with pudding mix until combined. Using a whisk, fold in 3 cups whipped cream, one cup at a time, until no streaks remain. Place banana filling in another large bowl. Cover and refrigerate remaining whipped cream until ready to serve.
- To assemble cake, spoon 1¾ cups vanilla filling into chilled crust, smoothing top with an of set spatula. Add 1¾ cups banana filling, smoothing top. Dip vanilla wafers, one at a time, in remaining ¼ cup milk; place in a single layer on top. Spoon ½ cup banana filling on top of wafers, smoothing to fill space between wafers. (Filling will not completely cover wafers). Place banana slices in a single layer on top. Add remaining banana filling, smoothing top. Add remaining vanilla filling, smoothing top. Freeze overnight.
- Remove cake from pan, and set on a cake stand. Transfer remaining whipped cream to a piping bag fitted with an open star tip (Wilton 1M). Pipe rosettes around edge of the cake. Garnish with mini vanilla wafers and crumbs, if desired. Let cake sit at room temperature for 30 minutes total before serving.
Kitchen Tip: To make this cake faster, omit making whipped cream in step 3 and whenever the recipe calls for it, use thawed frozen topping instead.
Discover inspiring style ideas, seasonal recipes, and more by ordering your Southern Lady subscription today!