Enjoy this sweet and savory Blackberry-Sweet Onion Jam Crostini appetizer.
Blackberry-Sweet Onion Jam Crostini
Makes about 24
- 6 slices thick-cut bacon
- 1 cup chopped sweet onion
- 1 pound fresh blackberries
- ¼ cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons distilled white vinegar
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper, divided
- 1 cup whole-milk ricotta cheese
- ¼ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- Toasted baguette, sliced ¾ inch thick
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove bacon, and let drain on paper towels, reserving 1 tablespoon drippings in skillet.
- Add onion to skillet; cook until softened, about 6 minutes. Add blackberries, brown sugar, vinegar, ¼ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Using a potato masher, mash blackberries. Bring mixture to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until thickened, about 40 minutes. Spoon mixture into a bowl; let cool completely.
- In a small bowl, stir together ricotta, Parmesan, chives, remaining ¼ teaspoon salt, and remaining ¼ teaspoon pepper. Spread about 2 teaspoons cheese mixture onto each baguette slice. Top with about 1 tablespoon blackberry mixture. Crumble bacon, and sprinkle over crostini. Sprinkle with additional pepper, to taste. Serve immediately.