This delicious Chicken, Mushroom, and Wild Rice Soup is perfect for the cool days of autumn.
Chicken, Mushroom, and Wild Rice Soup
Makes 6 to 8 servings
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 4 cups gourmet blend mushrooms
- 1 small sweet onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- ½ cup white wine
- 6 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup wild rice blend
- ⅔ cup heavy whipping cream, divided
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken
- ½ cup shredded Gruyère cheese
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Garnish: chopped fresh rosemary
- In a medium Dutch oven, heat 1 tablespoon butter over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms; cook until browned. Add remaining 2 tablespoons butter to Dutch oven. Add onion; cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 6 minutes. Stir in flour; cook for 2 minutes. Stir in wine; cook for 1 minute. Add broth, rice, ⅓ cup cream, rosemary, salt, and pepper; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium; cover and cook until rice is tender, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Stir in cooked chicken, cheese, lemon juice, and remaining ⅓ cup cream; cook until chicken is heated through, about 5 minutes. Garnish with rosemary, if desired.
Kitchen Tip: Substitute heavy whipping cream with half-and-half or milk for a lighter broth.
Discover inspiring style ideas, seasonal recipes, and more by ordering your Southern Lady subscription today!