Amber molasses infuse rich flavor into this delectable bread pudding.
Molasses Bread Pudding
Makes 1 (13×9-inch) baking dish
- 1 (1-pound) loaf French bread, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 4 cups half-and-half
- ¾ cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- ½ cup plus 2 tablespoons granulated sugar, divided
- 5 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 4 tablespoons molasses, divided
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1¼ cups chopped pecans, divided
- Cinnamon-Molasses Sauce (recipe follows)
- 1 cup cold heavy whipping cream
- Preheat oven to 350°. Spray a 13×9-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, toss together bread pieces and half-and-half. Let stand at room temperature for 10 minutes.
- In a large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in brown sugar and ½ cup granulated sugar until combined. Remove from heat. Let cool for 5 minutes. Whisk in eggs, 3 tablespoons molasses, vanilla, and salt until combined. Pour over bread mixture. Add 1 cup pecans, gently folding to combine. Spoon bread mixture into prepared pan. Sprinkle with remaining ¼ cup pecans. Cover with foil.
- Bake for 50 minutes. Uncover and bake until golden brown and a wooden pick inserted near center comes out clean, 10 to 15 minutes more. Let cool slightly. Drizzle with half of Cinnamon-Molasses Sauce, and reserve remaining to serve.
- In a medium bowl beat heavy cream, remaining 2 tablespoons granulated sugar, and remaining 1 tablespoon molasses with a mixer at medium-high speed until stiff peaks form. Immediately before serving, dollop on warm bread pudding and drizzle with sauce.
- 6 tablespoons firmly packed light brown sugar
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, softened
- ¼ cup heavy whipping cream, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- In a medium saucepan, bring brown sugar and butter to a simmer over medium heat, whisking until sugar is fully dissolved, 3 to 5 minutes. Add cream, molasses, cinnamon, and salt. Whisk mixture until cream is fully incorporated and beginning to simmer, about 5 minutes. Serve warm.
Discover inspiring style ideas, seasonal recipes, and more by ordering your Southern Lady subscription today!