It’s hard to resist a second slice of this classic Strawberries and Cream Tart.
Strawberries and Cream Tart
Makes 1 (9-inch) tart
- ½ (14.1-ounce) package refrigerated piecrusts
- 1 cup whole milk
- 3 large egg yolks
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1½ tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1½ tablespoons cornstarch
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 pound fresh strawberries, hulled and sliced ¼ inch thick
- ¼ cup seedless strawberry jam
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Garnish: lemon zest, fresh mint leaves
- Position oven rack in bottom third of oven, and preheat oven to 450°.
- Unroll piecrust, and carefully place in a 9-inch fluted tart pan, pressing into bottom and up sides. Trim excess dough. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Top dough with a piece of parchment paper, letting ends extend over edges of pan. Add pie weights.
- Bake until light golden brown, 12 to 15 minutes. Carefully remove paper and weights. Let cool completely on a wire rack.
- In a medium saucepan, heat milk over medium heat, and simmer. In a medium bowl, whisk together egg yolks and sugar until pale, about 1 minute; whisk in flour and cornstarch until smooth. Gradually add hot milk to egg mixture, whisking constantly. Return mixture to pan, and cook, whisking constantly, until mixture is thickened. Remove from heat; stir in vanilla. Let cool for 5 minutes. Spread pastry cream into prepared tart shell. Cover with a piece of plastic wrap, pressing wrap directly onto surface of cream. Refrigerate until set, about 4 hours or overnight.
- Arrange strawberries as desired on top of pastry cream. In a small saucepan, heat jam and lemon juice over medium heat, whisking to break up any chunks of fruit, until melted. Brush over strawberries. Garnish with zest and mint, if desired.
Discover inspiring style ideas, seasonal recipes, and more by ordering your Southern Lady subscription today!